Thursday, January 7, 2010

Will of John Ivie (c 1754- c 1837), Forsyth County, GA

Will of John IVIE

In the name of God, Amen.

I, John Ivie of the State of Georgia and the County of Forsyth, being weak and feeble in body, but perfect in mind and memory. Thanks be given therefore I make and ordain this my last Will and Testament and first of all I give and recommend my soul unto the hand of God that gave it and my body I recommend and wish to be buried in a Christain like and decent manner at the discretion of my Executor.

Now as touching such worldly estate wherewith it has pleased God to bless me with in this life I give and devise and dispose of the same in the following manner and form. It is my will and I do order that in the first place all my just debts and funeral charges be paid and satisfied. I give and bequeath unto my dearly beloved wife nancy all my money in hand or due me and all my land that I am entitled to and farming tools together with all the household and kitchen furniture and all my stock property hogs and cattle and that to have for her own proper care during her natural life and it is my will that after her decease all the above named property that is left be sold and the monies arising therefrom be applied as shall hereafter direct. I leave hereto my beloved wife Nancy my negro boy Dick during her natural life or widowhood for her own use and support. I give and bequeath unto my beloved son Stephen One Dollar. I give and bequeath unto my beloved son Hugh One Dollar. I give and bequeath unto my beloved daughter Nancy One Dollar. I give and bequeath unto my beloved daughter Winifred One Dollar. I give and bequeath unto my beloved son Able One Dollar. I give and bequeath unto my beloved daughter Susanna One Dollar. I give and bequeath unto my beloved Daughter Roda One Dollar. I give and bequeath unto my beloved daughter Frances One Dollar. I give and bequeath unto my beloved son Thomas at the death of my wife Nancy my negro boy Dick and it is my will that he should have him for his own property use and benefit forever. It is my will that none of the legatees get any of the aforesaid mentioned estate until after the decease of my wife Nancy and the remaining property, with the exception of Dick to be sold to payoff the remaining just named children.

Lastly, I constitute and appoint Nancy Ivie Executor to this my last Will and Testament in witness whereof I have herewith set my hand and seal this 24 of August 1837 signed in the presence of

Samuel M. Reese
Christopher Whitmore
John H. Mashburn

His
John X Ivie
Mark

Transcribed from the original in "Grant-Ivie Families", by Isabella Maxwell Coffee, 1961

No comments:

Post a Comment