Sunday, December 6, 2009

Will of William BURRIS (c 1770-1840), 17 Oct 1840 Darlington District, South Carolina

I haven't posted in over a month, but I have been busy. I traced my friend Sandra's tree back about 4 generations. I found out more about my friend Ben's family. I just have not blogged about the research. When I find data, I add it to my Ancestry trees, my genealogy database, and back it up on at least two external drives. Adding it to a blog is yet one more place to enter the data. That can be tedious, and I did not feel like devoting the time to these other lines, but today I have some great discoveries in my BURRIS lines to share with anyone out there who might be searching. 

I was contacted two nights ago by a lady named Terri who is the descendant of Benjamin W. BURRIS. Benjamin turns out to be the brother of Sarah Jane BURRIS, mother of Arelia Darnella SPORTS. She has shared some wonderful information, but first I need to share with you the will of Benjamin and Sarah's father, William BURRIS, Jr. Jane is his second wife and mother of Robert Lenn, George and Sarah Jane. The other children were the children of Martha CHANDLER, daughter of James CHANDLER.

Will of William Burris (c 1770-1840), 17 Oct 1840 Darlington District, South Carolina


Will is on file at the Darlington County [SC] Historical Society


State of South Carolina, Darlington District.


Know all men by these presence that I William Burris of the State and District aforesaide, being weak (?) in body but sound in minde and of a disposing disposition do make and do make and do ? and ordain this my last will and Testament. ? it is my wish and will that all my just debts should be paid.


Item I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife Jane Burris all the land lying on the east side of the road from Jefferies Creek to Black Creek Bridge or with a line from Jefferies Creek on to the back line laid off for my son Ira E. Burris. I also give her one of my horses which she can chose, one feather bed ? and furniture and ten head of hogs, One hundred bushels of corn and in the event of my wifes marrying the land is to be taken from her by my Executors for the benefit of my three youngest children namely Robert Lenn, George & Sarah Jane..I give to my son Robert Lenn Burris a negro Boy by the name of Tom, and my shot gun. I give unto my son George Burris a negro boy named Dawson..I give unto my Daughter Sarah Jane Burris a negro Boy named Lisbon, one feather bed and furniture. I also give unto my sons Lenn & George and my Daughter Sarah Jane one cow and calf ? to be chosen out of the stock by themselves..After my just debts are all paid, then it is my will that the balance of my estate shall be equally divided among all my children that are hereafter named...Namily..Ira E. Burris, William Wilson Burris, Emily Fraser..Samuel Burris..Jane Elizabeth Burris, John Burris, Martha Salmonds, Robert Lenn Burris, George Burris & Sarah Jane Burrris..I give unto Benjamin Burris two dollars which is to be all that he is to have and the hole of my estate. I do hereby nominate and appoint Ira E. Burris & James Cole as my lawful Executors.....I do hereby make and ordain this my last will & Testament revolking all other wills.


In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and this the Seventeenth day of October one thousand eight hundred and forty and in the Ninety fifth year of American Independence of the United States of America.


William Burris (Seal)

Thos. Stanly

Angus Gilchrist

Wm. L. Moye


Will probated Jan. 18, 1841. William died in December 1840.

Transcribed by Teresa McVeigh

All Rights Reserved
Copyright © Teresa McVeigh 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment