Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Will of Dicey KENNEDY DAVENPORT

Last Will and Testament of Dicey Kennedy (Canady) Davenport
Campbell, County, Georgia, August 4, 1834

In the name of God Amen. I Dicey Davenport of the county & state aforesaid being weak of body but of sound mind memory (revoking all others) do make and ordain the following as my last will and Testament.

First I give and bequeath to my Beloved GrandChildren James Warren, John Milton, Harriet Amanda, William Jesse & Charles Warren & Robert Early the Children of my Beloved Son Lovett (Jouett) Davenport an equal interest in a Negro Woman Hannah Secondly, I give & bequeath unto my beloved Grand Children Overton Fletcher, Eliza Garland, Matilda Ann, Dicey Sarah, James Thomas Lovett Harbirt, John Andrew & MaryOverton the children of my Beloved Son William Davenport an equal and joint interest in my negro woman Sarah & her child Amy and it is my will and desire that the said negroes should be subjuct to the control and management of my said two sons respectfully until such time as the youngest child of either comes of age then the said negro woman Hannah to be sold & the money equally divided unless she should have a child or children & in that case they may be divided or sold & divided as my said son Lovett may think best and when the youngest child of my said son William shall become of age then my will is that the said Negro Sarah and child Amy with any increase that may be shall be equally divided amongst the children of my said son William

But as the said negro woman Hannah is at this time as I understand ________ ________ by virtue of any execution from Clark County and may sold under said executions my will & desire is that in case she should be sold that all the above named children of both my sons aforesaid shall be jointly and equally interested in the remaining negroes and it is my will and desire that my two beloved sons Lovett Davenport and William Davenport be the executors of this my Last will and Testament and likewise that they equally divide between themselves the remaining part of my property & that they sell acertain Lot of Land lying in this county to wit number Thirty five in the first District (formally Carroll) in such manner and at such time as they may judge proper and divide the money between themselves

In Testimony whereof I have hereunto let my hand & seal this fourth day of August one thousand eight hundred and thirty four

Test Dicey Davenport
Thomas B. Watts L Berry Watts Hugh Longino


 Georgia
 Campbell

Personally Appeared before us Johnson (?) County B. Thompson and David D. Smith Justices of the Inferior Court of Said County Berry Watts and Hugh Longino who after being sworn saith on oath that they saw Dicey Davenport sign the within will for the purposes therein contained and that at the time she assigned she was of sound mind Sworn to us Subscribed
L BerryWatts
Before us this 1st January 1836
Hugh A. Longino, P. B.Thompson J.J.C David D. Smith J.J.C., S. P. Bonion (?) C.C.O.

2 comments:

  1. In the 6th line above occurs "Beloved Son Lovett (Jouett) Davenport..." "Jouett" is the correct transcription. The word "Lovett" is simply a mistranscription of the name of Dicey Kennedy Davenport's elder son Jouett Davenport (1786-1851).
    See the website of Jason Long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This transcription was copied from an unsourced tree as found. So far I do not have access to the original. Tess

    ReplyDelete