Note: A. W. Harper was married to William Wilson Ivie's sister, Sarah Elizabeth Ivie, so he was Eliza C. Ivie's brother in-law.
Questions for Witnesses
State of Georgia
A.W. Harper of said State and County, having been presented as a witness in the support of the Application of Mrs. Eliza C. Ivie
for a Pension under the Act of 1900, and after being duly sworn true answers to make to the following questions,
deposes and answers as follows:
1. What is your name and where do you reside? A W Harper. Habersham County near Mt. Airy Georgia
2. Are you acquainted with the applicant, Mrs. Eliza C. Ivie? If so, how long have you known her?
Over forty years
3. Where does she reside, and how long and since when has she been a resident of this state?
Demorest, Habersham Co. Ga. Resident of this State all her life
4. Where and when was she born? I don’t know except what she says
5. Were you ever acquainted with her husband? I knew him fifty years
6. Where did he reside in 1861? Habersham County
7. When and to Whom was he married? December 1859 to Eliza C. Taylor
8. When and where was he born? Don’t know of my own knowledge
9. How long have you known him? Fifty years
10. Where and when did W.W. Ivie enlist in the war between the States, and in what Company and Regiment did he enlist,
and how do you know this?
In 1862 in Smith’s Legion in Clarkesville served in this Legion until discharged August 1863. Re-enlisted in July 1864 in
Co. H 11 Ga. Cavalry. Because I was with him.
11. Were you a member of the same company and regiment? I was
12. How long did he perform regular military duty? Up to the surrender
13. When and where was his Company and Regiment surrendered and discharged from service?
At Statesboro S.C. April 1865
14. Were you with the command when it surrendered? I was not on detail service
15. Was the husband of the applicant present?
He was with command up to about 60 days before the surrender to my knowledge. I left about that time on detail. Have understood he was.
17. Where and when did he leave command? At surrender so I have understood. As I have answered he was with the command up to 60
days prior to the surrender when I left on detail and have always understood he was at the surrender
How do you know all this? All my own knowledge by being with him in service
18. Where and when did W. W. Ivie die? Cornelia Ga. 21st Dec. 1900
19. Where did he reside at his death at his death and how long had he been a resident of Georgia?
Cornelia Ga. All his life.
20. Do you of your own knowledge know that applicant is the lawful widow of W.W. Ivie? I do
21. Has she remained unmarried since her soldier husband’s death, and is now his widow? Yes. Yes, & she is now his widow.
22. What property, effects or income has the applicant...? Nothing
23. What property, effects or income did the applicant have in 1899 and 1900…? Nothing
24. Has the applicant conveyed any property in last two years, or given any away…? She has not
25. What is Applicant’s physical condition and her chances and ability to earn support?
She is weak form Age and diseased been in bed off & on for some time